Sunday, December 9, 2007

Day : One Full Week






Sunday!! This is the mark of one week successfully completed! WoW!!! So, a bit about my day! It was quite eventful really; walks, finding the church, kissing, green food coloring, prawns, and more.... yeah, yeah, I know...just read on and there'll be more detail.

So, I slept very late (especially late for me) because for some reason I did not sleep well or quickly last night. Anyway, enough of that. I decided this morning that I would get up and go out for the day leisurely walking around the city, find where the church here in town is located so that I will have no trouble finding it next Sunday, enjoying the sites, etc... I was hoping it would be a bit dryer today so I could sit outside and read my book or do my Spanish homework, but as it was not, I simply walked around taking pictures and taking everything in. I started out looking for the church. After about an hour, I found it! Looking at the map, I discovered that it was not so very far from where I lived, maybe a 15 minute walk. PTL!!! So from there, I decided to find my way back to the "Alameda", which is a large beautiful park here in Santiago. I had walked through a very small portion of it my first night in town with Irene', but hadn't seen much. So, I walked through and took lots of pictures. Some of which you are looking at along with this note. The park has a lot of green shrubs, a few fountains, a nice view from one side, and a small cathedral/church in the center (which interestingly enough I didn't make it up to). While walking through this lovely park, a gentleman (or maybe not such a gentleman) walked up noticing that I was taking pictures (which fact probably pegged me as a foreigner). He began to talk to me and then introduced himself, which I guess in his mind gave him the right to kiss both of my cheeks... Laugh! Okay, so no big deal, it is customary here... This man, I think his name was Raul or something, started walking with me. From what I gathered, he was working in the tourism business, though his English was not so great! Finally, I asked him where the bus stop was and he began to point me in the right direction. I was thrilled because it seemed as though he was leaving me now...only to have him pull me forward for yet another kiss on both of my cheeks to say goodbye...maybe this is also customary, but it was too much in my opinion and I was very grateful to part ways with him...YUCK! Yes, now you may all laugh! No, I did not get his picture for you! Moving on, I pretended to head in the direction of the bus station until he was out of sight and then headed back into the park to take pictures of the view that I had seen while walking with this man, but not able to stop and actually look at. As I was walking around a bit more, this same man came walking down the path. I quickly made my exit on a side path, with him calling out "Ciao" to my back...I ignored him hoping he would not follow. He watched me for a bit, but did not follow thankfully. If he had, I'm sure I would have run!! Haha!

Well, now that I have made my way away from the park with its strangers, I headed towards the Cathedral and the "Old City". Santiago is divided between the newer, modern part of the city and the old city... The old city is made up of towering older, British or European style buildings, with ornate design in the architecture, as well as older housing. It has narrow, cobblestone roads that split into more roads, and then randomly open up into plazas (just an open area)... I made my way through the old city, amazingly not thinking too much about getting lost. I have begun to get my sense of direction here! PTL!!! The streets are lined with many different kinds of shops, bakeries, cafes, bars, and restaurants. I would say that this is where the majority of the night life goes on. As I walked, I passed small hat shops, chocolatiers (fancier chocolate shops), jewelry shops, as well as the typical tourist gadgets shops (shops that carry momentos of the area for the tourists to buy). I made my way into one chocolate shop browsing the various chocolates in all shapes and sizes, the croissants with chocolate filling, the sandwiches (which are much smaller and fancier than a sandwich in the US), and the very well decorated cakes. Boy was I tempted to get something! I decided to wait this time. I'm not really sure what I'm waiting on, but I wait nonetheless...grin...I figure some time I'll be out with some friends and they'll want to get something to eat and then I'll start trying the different chocolates and pastries....ahhhhhh

So, on my way I went...it's drizzling outside, but not affecting my mood whatsoever... I've been out for about 2 hours now and it is nearly 4:30pm...I guess I'll head back and see what is going on in the Doval household. There, they had saved me some lunch (bless their hearts)...I wasn't planning on eating lunch, but because they made a point of telling me it was saved for me, I went ahead and ate up....smile... Along with a nice hot cup of coffee. The coffee is good here...PTL!!!

An answer to our prayers. I have been looking for a church here to fellowship with, and a few of you have given me some people to contact. Well, over the last few days I have been in contact with a few different people who were able to give me directions to a church here in Santiago as well as one that is just outside the city about 21 miles (reachable by bus)... Well, though I found the church here in Santiago today, I have also been in contact with the pastor and his wife of the church in a place called Noia. They have invited me to come there and join them if I'd like (they are American). Their church, similar to my own church in Springfield, has lunch together on Sundays...YEAH!!! Today, the pastor's wife contacted me telling me of the various activities that will be taking place this next week and that I am welcome to come. On Saturday of this next week, they are having what she called an outreach party, serving Galego (Galicia is the region that I am in) foods, with music, traditional dress, etc... I am hoping to be able to attend that and the Sunday service! It is nice to be in touch with other believers in this area. I am looking forward to meeting the church family. What a blessing from the Lord!

That's pretty much my day in its entirety other than the walk to the campus so Helena could meet with some friends for a bit to play & dinner....oh wait...dinner, that's another atory, though short.

The two oldest girls decided it would be funny to pour various colors of food coloring into the pasta that was on the stove ready for dinner... By the time dinner came around, Momma was none too happy to see that the pasta was no longer egg noodle-yellow, but rather red, blue, green, and bright yellow. We did not have pasta for dinner...No, out came the sandwich meats, cheeses, leftover pita, and a special cheese/quince sauce dessert. Smile...not that I minded too much. The sandwich meats and cheese are fantastic here, and eaten with a bit of bread from Irene's brother's bakery....yummmmy! I was perfectly satisfied!

Well, my adventures continue....just because my life seems so exciting right now does not mean that I do not want to hear about yours...please tell me what's going on with you. I hear Missouri & Oklahoma are getting yucky, icy weather...any snow there yet? It doesn't snow here (I already miss the beauty of snow, but oh well), only lovely rain, mist, and cool weather (normally not even cold enough to have to wear gloves). Until later. Ciao :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for telling us about your day, Jonna! I'm so excited for your adventures!

AshleyShell@gmail.com said...

Well we haven't had anything but cold, rain, mist, and fog here either! And ice on Monday.

JLC said...

Yuck...sounds like the weather isn't so great in Missouri! It is just cold here right now. Hasn't rained too much this week thankfully!