Saturday, December 8, 2007

Day 6

Besides being a rather uneventful day, I have learned yet more things today! grin... something of an ironic or oximoronic statement huh? To rephrase my statement, today was a stay at home day mostly, with no major new happenings.

Beginning with a good, hot shower, the day got off to a very good start! The girls slept late, until 9:30ish, so while they were still waking, I prepared a fruit salad to eat with b-fast. Then, enjoyed an after b-fast chat with Irene over my 2nd cup of coffee. She really enjoys sitting and talking with me over coffee. Or so it would seem since it has become a daily habit. She sat and told me about her family and life, education in Spain (discussing mostly entrance exams to college in this particular subject), how things were when she was still young, and more. It was interesting to hear her stories. Many times when I sitting with her, listening to her stories, as she struggles with her English (though she does quite well), I feel as though the Lord is teaching me something. Whether patience, learning to communicate outside my comfort zone (though I thought I'd learned that already), or something more, I do not know, but He gives me such a peace and grace to just listen. PTL!!! I am truely blessed! Between English, German, Spanish, and my throwing in bits and pieces of Hindi, we all communicate quite well in this house for which I am very thankful!

The day proceeded on with English lessons. Because today was Saturday, the lesson was merely playing Hangman on a chalk board with the older girls & memory with the youngest. The first game require that they spell words correctly and use good grammar. The second with the younger daughter, requires that she make a sentence for each match she finds and that she knows the name of the picture! They seemed to enjoy it quite a lot. Normally the girls have skating lessons on Saturdays, but today their lesson was canceled for one reason of another, so they were home most of the day.

The father who does not live here, comes to visit on Saturdays, so he arrived before lunch and spent some time with the girls. While they were all occupied, I swept the house and began lunch preparations. Irene left me with instructions to make a "pita". This consisted of a form of filo dough rolled out and layed in the bottom of a baking dish. On top of that, I put a filling that is made up of leek, spinach, & other optional veggies fried in olive oil. Over the filling I was told to sprinkle feta cheese (yum). And finally, another later of filo dough on top. Roll the sides to make keep the filling inside while baking and into the oven. After I had completed this task, I decided to make an apple pie (since the oven was already on and hot)...so, because we have a lot of apples right now, I set out peeling & slicing apples. I had everything ready for apple pie, when I was joined by the rest of the family, who were very excited and all began to help me... Smile... I pretty much had to back out just a bit and show them how to finish it! The oldest daughter, Celia, seems to really like cooking or at least baking (kind of like me I guess). I suppose that is another way to encourage relationship with her. PTL!!!

Lunch followed and was delicious...If you get a chance, try making the "pita". It's delicious! We ate it along with some soup that Irene's Mother had prepared and sent with the girls' father from the village. I had also made some Wassal with Irene' the night before, which they really loved. I am slowly learning the things they enjoy and how to prepare things their way! Hopefully, when I leave her I will also know how to cook Spanish style (though lunch was a Greek dish).

Well, yet another lesson learned, the pie turned out a bit crispy on top due to the oven. I have now learned how to use the oven here. Smile... Irene's oven gives direct heat from a coil in the top of the oven, and only indirect heat to the bottom of the oven. Now I know to put the heat all on the bottom and move the rack down a notch or two. grin... Cooking in another country is ALWAYS an learning experience/adventure! Praise the Lord, the pie still turned out well (though crispy) and was enjoyed greatly by all. We sat down to an afternoon snakc of pie at 5:30 together! Should have taken a picture of my crispy pie..grin...but thankfully I didn't! bigger grin!

Well, as the evening progressed, I decided I needed a walk! I wanted to get out a bit and gt some exercise! So, offering to stop at the store and pick up some milk, as well as take someone with me, I thought I would soon be on my way... What followed was not so exciting! Grin... To keep it short and sweet, but a matter of prayer, the two older children (Celia & Irene') do not get along very well. They both wanted to go walking with me, but one didn't want to go with the other! I ended up with Irene', who somehow made it my fault and decided to be angry with me as well. Though I got a walk, it was a challenge to my patience and more. grin... Please continue to keep these children in your prayers. That I can be a light to them, showing them Christ's love. There have already been a few times that I would like to spank a child. Smile... In just this experience alone, I realize that reasoning with children as though they were adults is SO NOT GOOD FOR THEM. When this is done, they have a tendency to lack respect for their elders, they want to be in control, and think of themselves as much older than they are. This is some of what I have come face to face with. It is a huge challenge since I am so used to children who are taught according to Biblical standards (even if they are not from a Christian family normally). Needless to say, the walk was long and I was mentally exhausted upon reaching home. God's ever-present hand and help still amazes me in all this! After resting a few moments and praying, I was able to have a great rest of the evening, playing games with Irene', visiting with my family over Skype (online telephone/chat service), and enjoying a nice simple dinner (at 10:30pm).

I appreciate you all who keep in touch with me.. It is a taste of home to recieve a note or email from you all! It is nice to speak in English, and hear it in return though it is only through an electronic means. I don't have to be so careful as to how I say things so that you will understand. God's blessing to you all...

2 comments:

AshleyShell@gmail.com said...

The pita sounds delicious! You'll have to make it for us when you get back. :)

JLC said...

The pita was great!! I'd love to make it there for you.. It actually felt like I was eating mostly healthy...grin