Monday, December 10, 2007

Day 8




Today was a blessed day. The girls did very well. The Lord gave me some new ideas to make learning English exciting, which included using learning games from the internet, reading poems and tongue twisters, reading about the true meaning of Christmas, playing matching games online, and finally a little device I recently discovered on my computer: Speech Recognition (using the voice to operate the computer). I used the speech recognition program with the eldest, who was thoroughly captivated for a good 45 minutes. It was a great learning tool because in order to operate it, one must articulate their words very well. She had to practice pronoucing her words VERY clearly. Occasionally I had to give the command so that we could move on, and since I'm also still learning how to use it, our time wasn't without its difficulties in trying to figure it out, but it was fun! Now, I think I'm going to have to shut my computer down if I am out of the house, or I'll have someone trying to voice activate it! Grin... Oh well, it was a great learning tool.

While the olders girls were doing their homework and studying for tests, Helena and I took a walk! It was a nice evening, so we walked around window shopping (since we are right smack dab in the middle of the city), and stopped at the park as well. We had quite a time. Helena is quite the gymnast/monkey! Reminds me of when I was in gradeschool before moving overseas...Good times! I am slowly learning how to get the girls to do what I want, rather than simply allow them to make the decisions as though they are the adult. Maybe I'm just getting more comfortable and therefore braver. Who knows, but I really appreciate all the prayers on this matter...

So, reaching home I realized that I would have to come up with something healthy to eat for dinner since there were no leftovers needing eaten and we'd already had sandwiches the night before... So, racking my brain for something that was both easily accomplished and available, as well as healthy, I wondered around the kitchen for probably a good 30 minutes.. Grin...yes, my Mom always told me I needed to learn how to come up with meals. Now I realize that it is simply not that easy to come up with new things to eat each day so that you aren't having the same meal three times a week. Grin. I looked through my recipes, flipped through my brain for something that I had all the ingredients for, and searched the cabinets & refridgerator for any ideas. I finally decided on french toast (relatively healthy since there isn't any syrup and I didn't figure their Mom would really want them eating it if I made it -so I didn't make any), then began to add a small salad of tomatoes, cuccumber, avocado, & red peppers. Then a bowl with fruit, and finally some yogurt. By the time we sat down to eat, there was plenty and they had eaten relatively healthy. PTL for His help once again!

Well, going to try to get some sleep tonight. My feather comforter is rather warm and I have been waking up sweating nearly every night that I have been here.. Oh poor me huh? grin... a feather comforter and I'm fussing about being hot! PTL for such a comfortable bed and blanket. I'll remedy being hot somehow.. God's blessing to you all...

No comments: