Friday, December 7, 2007

Day 6







This day has proceeded quite well. After my rather short and interrupted nap, I enjoyed a lunch of fresh tomato soup (fresh tomatoes that have been cooked for a long time with spices) with some fabulous bread, followed with baked fish (two whole fish - head to tail). All was delicious. Then, after a cup of coffee, we were off to drop the girls at various lessons. Yes, they have more lessons on Friday afternoons that include swimming, tennis, and ballet. After leaving the girls at their lessons, Irene and I went to a place where she could feel comfortable showing me how to drive her car. Thankfully, I have had some practice driving a manual car (thanks to Mom, sister, and cousin - who taught me) and it was not a problem. I drove back to pick up the girls, and then went on home! I am very thankful that the steering wheel in Spanish cars is on the same side as in America. PTL!!! Grin!! Driving in Santiago is quite similar to driving in the USA, with only a few exceptions. They have road rules, speed limits, signs, & stop lights that people follow. The roads are lined, but whether they stay in their lane or not is another issue, though not a big deal (still not as bad as NYC near the La Guardia airport during rush hour - Grin). After a bit more practice and learning how to find my way around the city by car, I'll be a regular taxi-au pair (feel like a soccer Mom taking her kids around to MANY different activities *G*).

So, I have talked much of my meeting with a girl named Isabel today, so I will do my best to fill you in a bit more now with the details. I was met at 8PM (I guess she was fashionably late - 1 hour), and we went out onto the town. In Spain, night life is very busy and goes till late into the next morning. Anyway, Isabel had some shopping she needed to do for a wedding tomorrow and then we were off to meet a friend of hers who just happens to be an American from Ohio. While waiting for him to show up, we walked around the "old city" of Santiago, around the Cathedral (which is a huge tourist attraction here), through narrow streets lined with shops, bars, & restaurants, and then waited some more.. The American never showed up. He had forgotten he was supposed to meet her. In the meantime, I was thoroughly enjoying being out, seeing the city with someone who knows where they are going. There are many chocolate shops and coffee bars. Also, a lot of the shops have torte de Santiago & other delicacies that are special to this area. If you go in as a foreigner, they will give you samples of all their goods. So, tonight I tried the torte de Santiago (which tasted much like a butter cake of sorts with powdered sugar on top - very delicious), followed by almonds in white chocolate and dark chocolate. Mouth wateringly delicious! I was told that I needed to come back tomorrow to sample the cheeses and other things they have! Smile... As we were leaving, Isabel told me that most of the shops lining this area had these cakes and things to sample. She said I could go into any store and sample it because I was foreign to the area! Smile... I can just picture it now, Headlines: "Girl gains weight from sampling local foods!" Grin... Though I may not get samples from too many stores, I have every intention of purchasing some of the chocolates or torte to bring home with me... or at least to eat at my own leisure! Grin...

Well, back at home, I enjoyed a simple dinner of potato stuff egg omelets, green olives, and cooked mushrooms. Mmmm... Irene is out for the evening now, the girls are all tucked into bed, and I'm "on duty"! Smile... Please continue to pray for me to have wisdom with the girls. How do you console a crying child, or discipline another child when you don't know what they're saying to you because their so upset or angry they are struggling to speak in English? I want wisdom in how to show kindness without bowing to their every whim or manipulation! This is good for me to learn, but seems more difficult in these circumstances. Maybe this is what all mothers face daily. If so, then I am in good training for being a patient Momma someday! Smile.. Finally, pray for the salvation of this family.. I want to be a light to them. God bless you all.. Ciao

No comments: