Friday, December 7, 2007

Day 5

My second Spanish lesson went very well. I had actually succeeded in doing most of the homework she had given me correctly. Thank the Lord (& Mom) for knowing English grammar because it sure makes learning another language a bit more feasible & simple! I have finally succeeded in being able to get to my language class with little to no help from my handy map. PTL!!! What I haven't succeeded in is blending in with a crowd. As I walked back from my Spanish lesson, I was thinking about blending into the crowd. It is quite a change for me to be living in a country where I actually don't stand out a mile simply by the color of my skin. So, as I walked, I inadvertently watched people's eyes to see if they looked at me like I was a foreigner or just another person using the same sidewalk. Most paid me little or no attention, but evidentally I still don't completely blend into the crowd even when I'm not saying a word. Smile... This made me smile to think about and smiling only draws more attention. Grin... I then realized that I don't blend in anywhere very well, which thought brought a grin to my face. So, anyway, that was my interesting mental conversation with myself this morning. Grin

I am starting to feel more relaxed here already. Now that I at least know my way to where I have Spanish lessons, I feel much more confident out on the streets. Now, I wish I could show some of you guys around....if only you were here to see!

This morning was misty and cold, though not as cold as I hear MO & OK are right now. Santiago reminds me quite a bit of Shimla, India in the rainy season. Wet, cool, misty, the clouds engulfing the tops of buildings, then the sun suddenly shining through at another place. It is beautiful! The streets are cobblestone on the smaller back streets, but paved elsewhere. Some buildings have that old, crumbling look, while others stand tall & new. Some places have moss, plants, or flowers growing from the sides of buildings, and others simply have a flower box under the windows. The quaint & natural combined with the new, modern look.

Today is my day "off". I am free until 9:00 this evening, at which time I am supposed to be at home for the kids (though they will soon after be in bed). This allows Irene, their Momma, to get out a bit I suppose. Anyway, for my day "off", I am hoping to get out a see a bit more of the city. Right now, after late nights, early mornings, and lots of learning, I'm seriously considering a nap. Then maybe explore this city a bit. This evening, I am meeting with a girl named Isabel. I think I've mentioned her already, so I'll tell you more once I meet her.

An answer to prayer maybe.. I have been searching for a church here in Santiago. A couple friends of mine have given me some contacts they have for pastors in Spain. I have emailed a couple and recently received a reply saying there is a Spanish church here in Santiago and another church about 21mi outside of Santiago (I believe the 2nd is pastored by an American). The first would be walking distance most likely, but the second can be reached by bus. For this week I will simply wait and see what this family does on Sundays, as I'm still learning their schedule. Hopefully, then I will be able to attend a service somewhere soon. Please continue to keep this in your prayers. For me, it is one thing to find the church and entirely another to go alone! That may sound strange to some who are reading this because they only know me as an outgoing, social girl. I like to do things with people and seem to get more outgoing when I have someone I know with me. I will be fine, but it is once again taking a step outside of what I am comfortable with and used to.

Well, my bed calls... Smile... God's blessings on you all. I really appreciate all the communication from you all. Until later... Haste Luega!

No comments: