So finally getting on the bus, I was soon dozing most of the way to Noia...which seems to be a norm for me on that leg of my journey (I slept last time I rode down there)... Finally, arriving in Noia, I walked to the church which is minutes from the bus station. The ladies of the church were meeting this Saturday night for a ladies' banquet, which I was invited to. Martha and girls had not yet arrived, so I joined some of the other ladies in preparing salad. Thankfully my Spanish is improving and I was able to converse just a bit. This was at 7:15pm. Upon the arrival of the Towner clan, I was introduced to their cousin Katherine who is visiting from Paris. From that time on, we American girls helped when needed, but we talked more! It was great to get to simply talk in fluent English for a change, and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. By 10pm, we were starving and still waiting on dinner for some reason. Finally, it was time to eat! We sat down to trays piled with large shrimp as the first course. Then came salad, amazingly tender roast beef with potatoes, octopus (suction cups and all), and plenty of bread. It was fabulous. I have discovered that octopus isn't my favorite, or at least not in the way I've had it prepared here, but it is also not horrible. Smile...I can eat it and enjoy myself, but I don't prefer it! The shrimp was delicious, as was the roast beef. Yummy!! Dinner was soon followed by desserts of various kinds. Mostly traditional candies, but also some “brownies” made by Martha (lacking some chocolate and sugar). Grin! After dinner, we had a contest for who had worn the best, most creative scarf. I had my scarf from Italy with me thankfully, so I was able to join in the fun. This voting on the best scarf took forever because they decided to have each woman give a 1-10 vote on each scarf, then added up the tally at the end. Finally, tired and ready to go home, we girls began to clean up as fast as we could. We finally left for home about 1:30am, hurrying to the van to avoid drunk teens just outside the church.
Monday, New Year's Eve, we slept in late to make up for the late night. Once we got around and had some lunch, we headed out in the van for an excursion to a beautiful lookout point overlooking a large portion of the coastal towns on the northwest coast of Spain. What a view! I loved the view, the warm sun, and getting to run around and then down the mountain and enjoy the out-of-doors. We also explored an old Celtic ruin on the beach. After enjoying a beautiful sunset, we soon set out for home...
We got to the castle around 4:30pm only to find that it was closed. The internet had said it was open on holidays, but evidentially it was wrong!! Oh well...Since viewing the castle was no longer an option, we decided to explore new places that not even the Towners had visited before...off we drove on yet another adventure with our map! We found lovely places, saw great views, found a monastery with beautiful walkways and a park-like area, went through cute and artistic little towns and villages, and just had a great time! Finally, we began to navigate our way toward the dairy where Martha was to pick up some fresh cows milk. With me as navigator and Martha as driver, we made our way quite well through the country-side to a town called A Picota, where we got milk. I enjoyed taking pictures of the cows for Dad! Smile... Finally we headed home..me quite tired from a day of romping around on the beaches, rocks, and running to and fro everywhere we went. On the way home, we three oldest girls made plans to celebrate the new year by jumping into the freezing cold Atlantic Ocean. So, reaching home, we quickly unloaded the van and changed into swimwear for our little adventure. Crazy??
January 1, 2008, Ruthie Towner, Jonna Clouse, & Katherine Richtie, with towels in tow, ran thru the freezing cold rain to the nearest beach (about 5 minutes), divested ourselves of our outer clothing (we still had swimsuits on), hurriedly took pictures (we're freezing in the cold rain and wind at this point), then ran screaming into the frigid waters off the Coast of Death on the northwest coast of Spain!! We were in less than a minute before we were running back out! The rain began to pelt us harder!! We “dried” off, struggled back into our clothes (now mostly soggy & sandy), and began to run home. At this point in the adventure, I was feeling quite warm strangely enough. About halfway home Martha met us in the van having taken pity on us...Smile... Once back home, we all climbed into the shower, swimsuits and all, to rinse off and warm up... I haven't taken a shower with someone in YEARS!! Grin...Cleaned up, hot, and hungry, we raided the kitchen. The rest of the evening was filled with conversation, looking at our pictures from the day, and more... I got to talk with my cousin on the phone for a bit! What a blessing since I had missed him when I'd called home early that weekend. Finally, Katherine, Ruthie, and myself sat down to enjoy “Pride & Prejudice” along with hot tea, fresh bread, and oranges! What a wonderful end to a fabulous break! Praise the Lord!!!
Wednesday saw me getting ready to head back to Lugo. Martha gave me a ride to Santiago so I could catch the 12:45pm bus, but because of a late departure and too much traffic, I still missed the bus. No problem, I went grocery shopping with Martha while waiting for the next bus. Back at the bus station preparing to purchase a bus ticket for 4pm, I discovered an earlier bus. PTL that I was at the station too early! I slept most of the way to Lugo and arrived back in Lugo safely! Walking to the house, about 20 minutes from the bus station with my suitcase and backpack was no problem. Arriving home, the family was happy to see me. I prayed the girls would not be mad at me for staying away one extra day (Irene had given me permission so I could go see the castle). I was greatly pleased that they welcomed me back with open arms and in good moods...they were headed to get their haircut.
No comments:
Post a Comment