Friday, January 11, 2008

Back to Lugo & then Home!

Back in Lugo, I spent Friday afternoon looking into shops on my own, checking my email in a WI-FI cafe and just enjoying myself for a few hours. Here, shops close between 2 and 4:30 or 5pm for the lunch break, more commonly known to us as the siesta time. Smile... So for an hour I sat and replied to some emails awaiting the re-opening of stores for the evening. There are a few stores here in Lugo that I had noticed and was interested in taking a closer look into. I have discovered that Lugo has good stuff for cheaper prices. Not sure why Santiago seems so much more expensive, but I'm thankful for the opportunity to enjoy the cheaper prices. I looked in many shops, contemplated buying many things, saw many things I wanted to get for others...it is hard to find something “Spanish” to buy for friends in the US because there are so many things here that one can get at home. Oh well.. I did manage to find a couple small things, and had a good time!

Back at the houseI found the family gone for evening. I was free for the rest of the evening and rather enjoyed myself. I walked a bit more about the town, but soon returned home to enjoy my book and a little alone time! PTL!!! Noia was lovely, I love the family I work with, but occasionally I don't want to be with anyone..just alone!
Saturday was an exciting day! Here, they celebrate a holiday that most Americans have never heard of called “Reyes Maggos” (referring to the 3 wisemen or 3 kings that brought gifts to Jesus). It is mostly a holiday for the children. In preparation for this holiday, the children write a letter requesting whatever they want. I am not sure if there is a limit to what they can request or how it all works. I have been trying to learn details as things have proceeded, but am still rather in the dark as to what this holiday is all about. Anyway... Then the letter is “sent” to the Reyes Maggos and the gifts will be delivered to the homes on January 6th. Sounds much like Santa Claus to me. This evening was the beginning of the celebration of this holiday...The city gathered in the streets to watch a parade bearing men dressed as the three kings. It was quite interesting to stand and watch all of this...The parade wasn't long but it was good and the children enjoyed it getting much candy from the various floats. Then the city thronged to the final destination of the parade & where the three kings were delivered. Here the city mayor gave a speech and the three kings greeted the city people. Then, a LONG line formed for the children to receive bags of candy from the “three kings”. Quite an adventure really.. While we waited for the line to get shorter, the girls played in a nearby playground meeting up with a few friends there.

I rather enjoyed watching all the activities this Saturday night. It is sadly interesting to watch these people who do not know Christ as their Savior. Their lives are so different from how I was raised. I have noticed so much selfishness. At first I thought it was just the children, but realized in many ways it is also the adults. There is so much to learn here. I am challenged each day to live an example for these girls. It really won't matter what I say to them if I don't act and live what I say. More importantly, I am challenged to be humble. It is so easy to argue when someone is trying to argue with you, especially when it is a child and you know that you are right based on having more experience and knowledge than they. I catch myself complaining or whining to God about things and realize that is exactly what I don't want the girls to do with me. Though they may not be able to see or hear my complaints or whining, it doesn't change the fact that I am just as bad as they are when I am complaining to God. Though difficult, I love this challenge. I pray that I will learn the lessons the Lord is teaching me! Simply trying to change the way these girls have been raised is impossible, but I hope and pray that my actions will have some influence in their lives... PTL!!!

Sunday morning, the girls woke up to many gifts including the gifts requested in their letter and more. They were pretty excited... I did discover that not just the children received gifts though. Each adult had a few gifts from each other as well. They blessed me with a few gifts as well...I received a small platter that Irene's sister had decorated with a sunflower (one of my favorite flowers), some house slippers, and a couple pairs of socks. Bless their hearts! I had some gifts for the girls and their Mom, but had left them in Santiago not wanting to try to carry them with us and have them seen...so I gave them upon our return to Santiago. Anyway...the rest of Sunday the girls spent playing with their new toys including a PS2. While they were otherwise occupied, I enjoyed a book in my room and then began working on creating a video from my many pictures...You can see my first attempt at a video below! Hope that it loads well for you all and you enjoy the pictures.
I'm Falling!!! Okay, not really!!
Back in Santiago, it is great to be home!! We are slowly getting back to a normal schedule.. I've been catching up with some friends, making new friends, and getting back into a good schedule. The girls have been getting back to school, though the eldest was sick for a few days. Just a note: continue to pray for this family. I had the opportunity to offer to pray for the oldest because she wasn't feeling well and stayed home from school two days. She looked at me like I was strange and asked what that was. I tried to explain in a simple way and then simply told her I'd be praying for her.. I also got to mention to her that I had prayed the day before when she had been looking for her lost retainer...right after I'd been praying (to myself) she had found them and was really excited.. PTL!!! Anyway, hopefully a seed was planted there.. Not sure if I put that all into words well, but hopefully what I just wrote was understandable enough..

Well, as of January 7th, the stores here have been having huge sales. Most stores have a sign in their window reading "Rebajas 50%" meaning Sale 50%! I have looked a bit, bought like one thing, and have made plans to go shopping with a friend. My friend Ruthie from Noia is going to join me for an afternoon of shopping and fun. I'm looking forward to having someone with me to shop as I find shopping alone a bit boring sometimes...smile. Anyway, praising the Lord for someone to share my shopping adventure with. Hoping to find some good deals...I have already been hunting for good places to go once she gets here. So anyway, enough of that!!
My Shopping Buddy
Hope that you all are well...I'd love to hear from you whenever you get a moment... God bless you all! One more thing, I really appreciate all your prayers. The Lord has been such an encouragement to me. He often makes His presence known to me at random times... He is so faithful! He is teaching me so much and I'm loving it! Thanks!

No comments: