Friday, February 13, 2009

Military Mardi Gras Ball & Beach walks...



Veronica & I are in flight school together!
Yes, I've been helping out with military balls these days, well only one actually.. A friend I made while working at the Presidential Inauguration in DC was in charge of coordinating a Mardi Gras Military Ball in Mobile, AL. Interested in being a part of what was going on and being in attendance that this event, I offered to help in any way I was able. Andy & myself....his wife is in the group pic of gals...
My friend, known as Andy for the remainder of this blog, was quick to snatch up my offer and I soon found myself helping out with door prize events, and other last minute details for the ball. I loved being involved, serving others, running around in the middle of all that was going on... It was totally my style. I was able to enjoy the ball, but I was also busy and not just sitting around trying to make conversation with whoever..
A Commander & I worked on door prize stuff together most of the day!!
While at this ball, I met many important individuals, which was a plus. One of the most exciting introductions I was given was to a Christian couple in the Coast Guard. After conversation with them for a short time, we were soon talking about where we went to church and some good churches in the area. Since they had previously been stationed in Pensacola, they were familiar with some of the churches in the area that I'm living in. They asked me if I'd heard of a church, and I was pleased to discover it as one that I had recently visited and liked the most. Church hunting has been a job for me it would seem. It has been a challenge going weekend to weekend without being plugged into any one church. I have been in and out of town, and I have visited three or four different churches since I moved here. I believe I have finally found one that I'd like to attend regularly.. It was nice to have a sense of confirmation through my conversation with the couple at the ball. PTL!!!
Worked on Ball stuff with this LCDR all the day of the Ball!!
Anyway, moving on... I'm still waiting for flight school stuff to get rolling for me. I'm on a waiting list, so in the mean time I'm having to fill my days. This time has been good for getting settled, learning the area, and getting small details here and there accomplished. I've enjoyed decorating my own home for once in my life, being able to finally print some of my photography collection and use it in my home. PTL!!! Waiting has also been a huge challenge. I've had much time to think, too much time if you ask me...which leads to anxiety, depression, and loneliness, etc if I'm not careful. I've struggled with these and other things since being here, but the Lord continues to care for me and pull me through. Depression has been my most recent rival and I'm continuing to pray through that one. My next adventure includes spending a month working in Mobile, AL at the Aviation Training Center for the CG. It is the CG's "Mecca" for aviation. I will most likely be involved in helping with writing aviation manuals for a new aircraft that the CG is slowly moving into the fleet of aircraft. Since I've been able to make some friends there in Mobile, I also plan on getting up on some flights whenever possible. Looking forward to getting back up into the air.. It's about time for that.. I'm looking forward to going to Mobile for a few weeks, because it will give me something of a schedule and a reason to get up each morning.. I need something productive to fill my days with besides sitting around thinking about flight school and wondering.. Grin... I have a big enough imagination without giving it too much reign to run wild...
This week a friend of mine flew in from Miami in his CG Falcon jet to let me see it and have lunch. That was a brght spot on my week. I enjoyed a tour of a CG jet, meeting the crew, and getting to hang out with an ole friend of mine over lunch. Good times.. A few other coasties were able to come out and meet us for lunch and see the aircraft as well. It's been a lot of fun meeting pilots and CG aviators and asking them lots of questions. I've appreciated those aviators who are ahead of me in the game, have been flying for a few years or more with the CG who are more than willing to share their experience and offer whatever wisdom or advice they've gained over the years. It's been fun!
A little R&R on the beach on a sunny Sunday afternoon!! Very relaxing and a great day to read a book and soak up the sun and beauty of God's creation!! I only imagined being in FL on beaches and now I live here.. WoW!!
Well...I believe that about updates you all.. I appreciate the continued prayers and your interest in what the Lord is doing in my life. I would especially appreciate prayer concerning being a believer in the CG. Not an easy thing. I've talked with others about this topic, one who used to have a relationship with the Lord who no longer walks the walk because it didn't fit into her new life.. She is a coastie who seemingly has let go of her relationship with the Lord to fit into the CG world...maybe that isn't what led her away from the Lord at all, but it hits me everytime I've talked to her about it.. I am not willing to give up relationship with God to pursue this career... I've reminded the Lord that He put me here and I need His strength in this.. Your prayers on this matter would be amazing!! Thanks guys..

No comments: