Sunday, January 25, 2009

Presidential Inauguration Adventure...

My house from the outside at night
Hello Friends and Family,

I have been busy and enjoying quite an adventure of late. I reported into my duty station in Pensacola, FL and moved into a nice home with my roommate. Not two weeks after I moved in and began to get settled was I on an airplane headed for Washington D.C. Let me tell you a bit more of the story.

I actually volunteered for this adventure and have not regretted it. Upon learning of the possibility of going DC I quickly informed the appropriate individuals of my interest. I figured that it wouldn't work out because of the lateness of my station recieving the notice needing volunteers. But within days I learned that I was part of a 6 person party that was being sent to D.C. and that's how the whole ordeal began. We flew to DC on the 13th and checked into our hotel there, then reported to the work sight the next morning. I soon found myself gainfully employed as an assistant to the liaison of the whole operation. The liaison is responsible for maintaining contact with our CG liaisons working with the other military and government services that were involved in the operation. It was fun. I went to some interesting places around town to make sure everything was ready for our liaisons to arrive and begin working. I was also part of an escorting/hosting party for VIPs and dignitaries who visited our camp site. I met an Admiral, a General, and a Major General throughout the course of my trip.
My friend Keidi and I
Unlike some crazy pictures that I put on facebook as a bit of a joke, I was not present at the inauguration. I watched it on TV like the rest of you all. Unlike you all, we were standing around waiting and watching to see if something would go wrong, because that would be when we would have gone into action. The whole operation was set up in the event of a breech in security. With groups out patrolling the waters both on and off shore, we were prepared. It was cool being a part of an operation that was working with many other security services. WoW!!! I learned a lot about how the CG works in this capacity. I had studied it some in OCS, but now was able to see what I'd previously only read about in action. I loved being a part of it. In addition to learning a lot about this particular operation, I was also able to make lots of good connections and friends. I visited with many over the course of the two works who gave me many different ideas of what I can do with my CG career..where I can take it..what I can learn..and how and who to talk to. I'm rather excited about these many possibilities. I also met some cool aviators and enjoyed hanging out with them a bit.
Evenings were pretty busy, even after a 10-12 hour work day. I often returned from work to our nice hotel to use the gym facilities that were available to guests. Then head out to dinner with various people that I was working with. This was always a fun time trying new restaurants in the area and getting to know people outside of a work environment. The CG society is quite an interesting one.
After the inauguration we spent a few days cleaning things up and then had a couple free days while waiting for our flight home. This was a nice time that we were able to head into downtown Washington D.C. and see the sights. We walked through various Smithsonian museums, the botanical gardens beside the Capitol building, around the Mall area, as well as downtown. I enjoyed the Air and Space Museum the most I guess.
Finally, time to return back to P'cola and rest up. I was very ready to return home and get some rest. I will start working at a small boat station in Pensacola for this next week while I am still waiting for my training to begin. I won't actually begin classes until the end of April due to a long waiting list. I'm on the list though and my wait isn't as long as others' have been. PTL!!!

I would greatly appreciate your prayers as I continue to look for a local church to attend regularly and for Christian community here. It has been very much a challenge living, working, and hanging with non-believers constantly. I love them, but need spiritual fellowship as well. Thank you all for your prayer support and interest in what the Lord is doing in my life. This time is challenging, but the Lord is good to see me through. I'm thankful for His strength through each new challenge. Love to hear from you all.. Keep in touch.

No comments: