Saturday, November 29, 2008

GRADUATING!!!




I'M GRADUATING!!! FINALLY!!!
Yes, as you can gather from that short little statement, I am pretty excited, amazed, and a little shocked that I'm graduating as an officer of the United States Coast Guard. Sometimes the thought actually hits me and I can hardly believe it. Definitely not where I would have saw myself a few years ago, but God has a plan. I've been asking Him recently to reveal His vision for my time in the Coast Guard. I want a vision for what He is doing and maybe even how I fit into that plan. I want to be a part of His work. I will say that this has been a challenging 17 weeks. The biggest challenge has been spiritually I think. I have had very little time to myself before Thanksgiving Break (which I'll mention more about later)... I can see how the Lord has given me grace for it, but having very little alone time with the Lord has been a challenge. I really appreciate all your prayers that have held me before the Lord through all of this. He has been my steadfast rock and strength. PTL!!!
So, just a little catch up. About two and a half weeks ago I actually got my first weekend of complete liberty. I was free to leave the barracks coming and going at will for two whole days. It was HUGE! The first weekend I was blessed to be able to borrow a gal's car who wasn't allowed to leave. I took off to Starbuck's for a few hours of me time. It was such a blessing to sit and sip a coffee, read my Bible, and reflect on the past weeks. I ended up spending much of that weekend and the next hanging out with one friend or another from the barracks, but I did manage to get a little me time both weekends. PTL!!! Those two weekends were probably the most challenging for me interestingly enough. Being without my own car here and wanting out of the barracks, I often found myself the designated driver for the evening... It was eye-opening and a good chance to see why I don't want that lifestyle. Having been holed up here for so long, I was just glad to be out and having fun, which was an attitude that set me up for doing just about anything. Needless to say, God's grace is sufficient for me and I've learned and am still learning lots. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Lord has for the future. I have a feeling that this is a training time for me, a time to put faith into practice, live what I believe in a less than accommodating environment, and follow Christ! I covet your continued prayers as I am now graduating and headed into more challenges and adventures.!
So, Thanksgiving Break.... this 4 day break has been a huge blessing. Weekend liberty was nice, but never very restful for recouperating. I was blessed to have a college buddy living in Boston area going to Seminary. So I made plans to spend Thanksgiving Break with him and his friends in Boston. It was 3 days of relaxation, exploring the small towns and cities of the east coast, and catching up with myself. We were blessed to be invited to a Thanksgiving dinner with a family who had one other student coming over. The lady, from Sweden, was an excellent cook. Couldn't have done too much better if I'd been at home. The family was extremely hospitable making for a very relaxed Thanksgiving Day tossing a football. playing ping pong, playing games, and watching a movie. Definitely what I needed. PTL!!! Returned to New London on Saturday evening in time for Sunday duty.
So, graduation is Wednesday, Dec 3rd! I'm very excited. The rest of this week will be spent in graduation practice and preparation. My parents are honoring me with their presence at my graduation! This is a huge blessing to me, that I don't even know if they fully realize. I'm excited because they get to cross-country it all the way up here taking their time and enjoying themselves. They will be here in time for a dinner & dance on Tuesday evening before the graduation ceremony on Wednesday morning. From there, we will be going to Maine to spend a few days with family up there before heading home. I will be in the Springfield area for most of 3 weeks before making my way to Pensacola, FL!!
Pensacola, FL!!!! Yes, I'm going to Flight school due to a miraculous, amazing work of God. I'm VERY excited!! It feels great to be headed somewhere for a longer time than 6 months. I will be in the Pensacola area for around 18 months. It will be tough and challenging, but I'm praying for the Lord's strength and help through it. I don't believe He will put me in something without giving me the tools to perform. I'm asking the Lord for a good group of believers there to fellowship with as well as a Christian mentor in the Coast Guard. You all are welcome to join me in praying for this.
Well, I believe that about catches you up with what I'm doing! Life is exciting, busy, and an adventure! PTL!!! Thank you all for staying up with what is going on in my life these days. I'd love to hear what you all are up to. Please feel free to contact me by email, cell phone, or mail. I don't have my new address to Pensacola yet for sure, but will try to get you all up to date when I do.
God bless!!

No comments: