So, yes, I am now officially graduated as an officer of the United States Coast Guard. I can officially ask for military discounts with a card to back me up...grin...don't ask! I have to say that the last 17 weeks has been quite an adventure that is only the start of an even greater adventure. I will start with saying that since graduation I have been processing all the input from the past 17 weeks. While in OCS, we get a lot of information, work, stress, etc...with really no time to process it. Some of it soaks in, some of it we lose, and still more of it is still waiting for my brain to process and store. Smile... I realize that's putting it all in almost computerized terms, but it's the truth of the matter.. There have been moments since graduation of wondering what in the world I'm doing, what in the world did I just finish doing, and just feeling completely lost. Those moments don't last for long, as the Lord is a constant reassurance in my life. Before delving into the story of the last few weeks, I will say that I still know that I'm in the will of the Lord for my life and am continually seeing His amazing blessings in my life as He opens doors and closes others. PTL!!! I really appreciate all your prayers over the last several months, as well as encouraging letters and packages while I was in OCS. You are all a blessing to me. Now for the story...
So that catches you up on that story...there's more I could add there, but I'll save it for later where it fits into the story timeline...
Dec.1st:
Back from Thanskgiving Break, we pretty much only had 3 days before graduation. We spent those days in Drill practice, graduation practice, packing, and lots of last minute details to make sure each of us was ready to leave on the 3rd of December and head to our new homes. Drill practice pretty much consisted of either standing or marching around with 9 1/2lb rifles. Not my favorite thing in the world, but when you are with my group we do our best to make everything interesting. Smile... This day we had the full competition rehearsal for our final drill competition which was to be followed by an awards ceremony. Standing for over an hour was a challenge as I hadn't been feeling the greatest over the last few weeks, and came the closest to passing out that I had ever come in my entire life. I have never had my vision begin to go white while at the same time feeling weak all over and nauseous. I was more than a little worried because the next day was the actual competition and ceremony where we would perform in front of an audience of friends and family. Tomorrow would be longer than even our practice because they would actually hand out all the awards and read the citations that went with each. So with much prayer for the following day, the day progressed. Monday was a success and upon finishing up with all the day's activities, a group of us decided that going out for dinner sounded like a grand idea. Turns out, class that I was a part of consisted of 84 (originally 95) students that had been divided into 3 groups. My group was called the "party platoon" and was a rather tight-knit, fun group.
Began with practicing out in the cold for an hour or so. The weather was beautiful for the few days leading up to and including graduation day, but they were COLD...like 30 degrees cold. Smile...so standing outside for long periods of time was "COLD"! Smile... Anyway, at 10AM the competition began. I sang to myself to keep me entertained and keep my mind busy as I watched the goings on while I stood alternately at the position of attention or at a resting position with my rifle leaned out in front of me. Praise the Lord...I did not pass out nor come close to passing out. Honestly, that was an answer to prayer because the last thing I wanted to do was pass out. Immediately following the competition I was given about an hour to see my parents who had driven all the way from MO to be present at my graduation. It was great to see them after 4 months. I am honored to have parents who are so supportive of what I am doing. I'm not sure what I'd do without their support. The rest of the afternoon involved a final graduation practice and a few more final details before the evening's formal dinner & dance.
Dec. 3rd:
Immediately upon conclusion of this ceremony, we marched back to the barracks to change a few things on our uniforms for the graduation ceremony. We had to change jackets and a few insignia to signify our being officers upon completion of the ceremony. Never will we again wear the previous uniforms and insignia unless we are in some skit or something. While we were completing this quick change of uniform and reforming up into marching order, the family and friends were being shown a 20 minute video giving an overview of the last 17 weeks of our lives. A couple of the students were assigned the job of video taping our various events and compiling a class video. They did an excellent job and each of us now have a copy to remember our life at OCS. Smile... Finally, all dressed out and ready to go, we marched down to the graduation hall where we met our friends and family and enjoyed a nice reception before the graduation. A little strange maybe, but the graduation was scheduled through lunch, so it was excellent for tiding our appetites through the afternoon. The graduation proceeded without a hitch and I was soon walking across the stage to receive my commission as an officer of the United States Coast Guard. Woohoo!! I walked and I got it!! It is still amazing to think about it. I can hardly believe it sometimes. WoW!!
Immediately following graduation I hurried back to the barracks to load my stuff into Mom and Dad's car, then they left for the hotel while I had to stick around and do some more cleaning in the barracks. Each of us was assigned an area of the barracks in addition to our individual rooms that we had to have cleaned before we were allowed to leave for good. It was fun times cleaning up, seeing everyone and their families, and then finally getting out of there. I took my parents to visit the ship that I had sailed on in the Carribean for two weeks. I got to give them the tour inside and out giving them a peak into my life and experiences on the ship. Good times. Enjoying an early dinner and running into quite a few friends, I was exhausted upon reaching the hotel and asleep by 8:15pm. Smile...
On the road to Maine to visit family, we spent the next 3 days in Brunswick, ME enjoying the little towns, the coast, and visiting a lighthouse. It was a relaxing time. I've wanted to go to Maine for quite some time and was quite excited to have the opportunity this time. It is beautiful there. From Maine, we drove 28 hours over 2 1/2 days back to the MO, through at least 9 states. I have decided that Pennsylvania was one of my favorite going through the mountains, even the snow that we ran into. It was good to get home though and I have spent my time here sleeping, trying to keep in shape (that can be a challenge around Christmas time), and going through all my stuff packing and repacking in preparation for moving to Florida the first of January.
The Lord has continued to provide my needs and bless me amazingly. Since I sold my vehicle before leaving for OCS, I have been looking for one to carry all my stuff to Florida. The Lord provided exactly what I was wanting and looking for. I am getting a 2003 4-door black Toyota Tacoma!! PTL!!! In addition to that, my Mother has been amazing helping me find things necessary to set up house down in FL. I'm VERY excited to be moving to FL to my own place for the first time in my life. It will be nice to be alone a bit and have some peace and quiet after 17 weeks in a community living arrangement surrounded by people 24/7. So, that pretty much gets you all up to date. Sure there are more details here and there, but many of those are in the forms of stories that make up each day of my life. Life is an adventure and lately it was compared to a novel. Please feel free to write me a comment on this blog or shoot me an email if I forget to complete a story and leave the "novel" hanging mid-story for too long. Either way I will check my email and get notification of a need to update. Thank you all once again for all your prayer support, letters, packages, and friendship. It is a blessing to know that people are praying for me. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me and I know that this next phase of life, flight school, is going to be a challenge. Merry Christmas to you all and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment