Friday, May 16, 2008

So much for catching up...

Haha, well so much for catching up I guess....too much happens around here to keep up I suppose. Maybe the too much is just many little things I'm doing, all that the Lord is teaching me, the basics of life, and all the many things running through my head...but there's a lot going on. The first of which is preparing to return to the USA!
Yes, it is about that time. I have 17 days remaining to enjoy Spain, and believe you me...I am enjoying Spain! In the last couple of weeks I have kept quite busy. Still doing my Spanish class at the university. It has such a blessing to me in more ways than one. It is an additional help in learning the language, but it is also nice to have something to fill some of my mornings...motivation & responsibility, especially in these days when I'm getting more excited about returning home. Mornings are a time for me to get things done, but often what happens is I do a lot the night before and don't get up in the mornings very early. Life in Spain happens mostly at night, which means I'm on a go to bed late (or early in the morning, however you want to look at it) and sleep in late...Grin... for some that might be fabulous, for me I'm a morning person and so it throws my life off a bit.. But, I'm enjoying it overall none-the-less. So, anyway...beyond Spanish class...
I recently helped plan a small surprise party for some friends of mine here who are moving back to the US. I believe I have mentioned the Towners, friends who have been a great blessing to me during my stay here. So, Susi and I got it in our heads to plan a surprise party for the girls of this family. It was an adventure since while planning we weren't completely sure that the Towner girls would even be able to make the party. We got confirmation from them @ midnight, the night before the planned date... We went into highspeed mode and I was sure thankful that a number of other girls who I needed to talk to were online at that moment. Everything fell into place and we had a nice get-together/party. This all happened on Thursday night of last week and since it was a sleepover...it didn't end until Friday afternoon. After which, I went home and crashed in my bed for 2 hours...grin...you can imagine I'm sure. Friday evening I went out for a walk around the town before coming home to hang with my girls (the girls I'm watching). While out, I ran into a friend from a neighboring city and we stopped to have a coffee together. This is one aspect of Spanish culture that I like. It is similar to Indian as well...that when you meet a friend in the streets somewhere, if you have any time at all..you go together and drink a coffee or something and visit a bit. Might have something to do with the fact that walking is a major means of transportation around the city and therefore it's easier to simply stop and chat a bit in a local cafe/bar. Get a funny mental image of two people in the US passing in their cars and stopping to chat in the middle of the road and then pulling over to the nearest coffee shop or restaurant to have a chat... haha
So my life here seems to be filled with parties...not intentionally planned on my part I don't think, but I enjoy them most of the time. Maybe I attract them a little....Anyway, Saturday night we had yet another party...this time a birthday party and I was in on the planning of this one. I helped offer ideas for games, but most of mine had to do with someone getting wet, which wasn't very convenient for the location. So, I'd say I wasn't much help. Grin...Sunday was the opening of a new church in a neighboring suburb/town. So, I went to the new church on Sunday morning (afternoon-doesn't actually start until 12pm) to celebrate and worship them... It was a great service. I really enjoy getting together with these people to worship the Lord and pray. It is such a blessing and the presence of the Lord is in our midst. PTL!!! Sunday night, I think Susana and I must have been tired because after hanging out in a park area for a while later that evening, we ended up at her place watching a movie... It was a nice quiet ending to a otherwise busy weekend.So, hmmmm....what else!?! Yes, I'm preparing to return to the US. My mind is slowly getting back into US mode I think. I'm thinking of all the things I need to do before I leave and trying to get it done little by little.. Saying goodbye isn't one of my favorite things to do, so please keep me in your prayers over the next few weeks. You'd think I was used to this I suppose with having said goodbye many times to many people...BUT......
The family I live with is doing well. Mostly just a fairly normal schedule with them, with a few extras. Irenita, the middle gal, is preparing for a school trip to Mallorca Islands off the coast of Spain. She will leave about 5 days before I leave for the US. Helena, the youngest, has had catechism daily for the last two weeks in the evenings in preparation for her first communion. The first communion is a fairly big deal here in Spain. So I've been running her to her class each evening and waiting for about 30-45 minutes to bring her back home. It's been an adventure, but also means that I've had opportunity to drive more which I've enjoyed...grin! Celia, the oldest, has been studying for tests this week...nothing terribly exciting. So, overall, things are running smoothly. Took the two youngest to go bowling tonight with my friend Susana, which the girls loved. They were very anxiously excited to meet her...Smile...Well, I guess that is a bit of an update. It is late, so I'm headed to bed... I'm sure there is so much more I could write, but hopefully I'll be able to tell more stories with fun details when I'm back home and we can all visit in person. God bless you all (Dios os bendiga)!

No comments: