Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Mexican Birthday Parties in Spain...

Yep, you read the title right!! I went to a Mexican birthday party here in Spain on Monday night. One of the guys from the church (Jaokin) suddenly revealed to us on Sunday that it was his birthday and then invited us all to his place on Monday night to celebrate with him. So, after I was finished with my work with the girls, I headed out to Jaokin's house, which is not far from where I live to join others from the church in celebration. I took me brownies to add to the foods, and many people seemed to enjoy them.. Happy Birthday Joakin.. Anyway. We had quite a time....Pizza Hut delivered pizza, to go with the many other foods, drinks, and desserts available. Fun times...
So, after a while, when I thought the party might be breaking up, and many people were leaving, we began the games and singing...Yes, games & singing (or rather rapping).. It was rather funny ad quite interesting to watch. One of the kids is rather god at rapping so they easily talked him into doing a rap or so. Then they talked one of the girls into joining as a dancer, later they talked another girl into rapping with the guy.. It was great to listen to, though I was sagging in my chair before the night was over (thankfully I was seated on the couch..grin). At one point in the night they began a writing game...ouch, difficult if you struggle to speak, let alone write in Spanish (though my speaking and writing abilities aren't too far apart)...so to say the least I was a bit frustrated before the evening was over because of communication difficulties, but oh well... Thankfully not everyone was put out with my limited ability to communicate in Spanish and they helped me...grin!
So, guess that about sums up the Mexican birthday party in Spain...just thought it might be something interesting to read about...


Hope you guys can see this...not very pro, but I tried!!

I had my first Spanish class today in the University of Santiago de Compostela!! YEAH!!! I finished my exam for getting into the class last Friday, and was able to start classes today. Quite interesting. I am in a class with quite a few Italians. The one I was sitting by today was a nice Italian gal from Naples, Italy. I'm not sure where some of the other students are from, but know that the girls directly behind us were also Italian...so should be an interesting few months. The professor is very spunky and likeable. She should make the next few months fun I think. Hoping that I can learn quite a bit from this class. I think it will help me with grammar and hopefully at least get me headed in the right direction with the past and future tenses (not doing too bad with the present tense, but it sure is difficult to communicate everything one wants to say using the present tense...) GRIN!!! Anyway, I'm very thankful for the class...if nothing else, it's a great experience!!

I'll keep you guys updated on the exciting adventures of life in Spain as I'm able... My time here seems to be flying by rather quickly these days.
My girls playing dress up with a visiting girl from Germany.

No comments: