Friday, June 12, 2009

Phase 2 of Flight School


It has been way too long since I have last updated this blog. Though I will try to continue to update it, there is no promise that the next update will be a while in coming as well. I just finished a 6 week ground course of classes as well as water and land survival training. I successfully passed every test the first try, for which I was very thankful.
There were many who failed tests and had to retake them, and still a few others who failed multiple tests and were removed from flight school completely. Thanking God that I was able to get through that phase successfully. Thank you all for all the prayers and encouragement. During that 6 weeks, I went through water survival training that included swimming in full flight gear, which is pretty heavy. Full flight gear includes, steel-toed boots, a flight suit (which looks like coveralls), gloves, a safety vest (we weren't allowed to use the flotation devices in them, and they are fairly heavy), & helmet. It was an adventure and definitely stretched me a bit in the area of swimming as I've never had formal swimming lessons and not a ton of time in the water growing up due to living location. Anyway...the final test for that part of the water survival training was a mile swim in flight suits (not all the rest of the gear, just the suit). I managed to complete that in just under the required time at 78min 32sec.. Haha...yes, a long time to swim non-stop. PTL I passed the first time. The rest of training included a dunker, in which we were strapped into the frame of a helicopter in full flight gear, put under water, and rolled over before we were allowed to release our harnesses/seatbelts, and crawl out through one of 3 windows. That was an adventure. We also were drug across the ground in parachute harnesses that we had to remove ourselves from while being dragged. We learned parachute falls into the water and onto a hard surface and how to safely fall to avoid serious injury. And finally, on our last day of training, we jumped from a boat into the bay and were then hoisted out of the water by a helicopter, placed back into the water, and picked up by a following boat. Plenty of fun, lots of work, and I'm glad to be done with all that. PTL!!!
Now, I'm moving on to flight training at a Navy base closer to where I am living (15 minutes instead of the 40-50min to the other school location). Yeah!! I begin Monday (June 15) with more ground school classes. I will be learning the systems of the aircraft I will be flying (T-34C), the rules for Naval flying in this area, emergency procedures (which are paragraphs long and must be known verbatim), and much more. I will move from ground school to simulator training in which they will teach us how to fly the plane before they ever put us in a plane. From that I will move back into my new and improved office with a view, the T-34C...and
will be flying again!!!! Yippeeee! So ready to be back in the air. I believe that taking the time off from flying for a while was actually quite beneficial, so that I am now anticipating flying and excited about it, instead of it just being old hat. Previously I had been training and was getting burnt out on training.. Praying and hoping for grace to get through this more rigorous training that I am beginning. Having had some previously flight training, I know how challenging just training everyday can become. There are times that flying became not so exciting because all I ever did was train. I would greatly appreciate your prayers as I begin this training that I will remain motivated and remember the pleasure of flying rather than become discouraged and bored of constant training. One of the things I love about being in the Coast Guard, and military in general is the constant opportunity to learn and be challenged and
stretched. So, this is just another chance to learn, be challenged, and stretch my view/horizon/knowledge...etc...

Besides flight school and having my brain and mind all wrapped around that these days, I'm also enjoying livingin Florida. I love living near the beaches, which I frequent as able. They are lovely beaches here and great for relaxing, catching some rays, and occasionally if you are good at self-discipline, studying...there are a few who are successful at that. Smile.. Not sure I am yet, though I have tried only minimally. My latest adventure outside of flight school has been the purchase of a motorcycle.
I am now the proud owner of a 2006 Kawasaki 650R. I love riding. I am blessed with plenty of friends in the area who ride motorcycles and have been very great at taking me out to ride, giving me tips, and helping me gain comfort and confidence to ride safely. In keeping with military regulation, I took the motorcycle safety course, which was very helpful. Now, riding to and from work/class is a lot of fun!! I also love riding to the beach. I get a kick out of the strange looks and funny comments I get from people who are surprised to see me (a girl) riding my bike. Most recent was some older gentleman who had parked next to me to work out at the base gym. When I came out and was getting geared up to ride home, this gentleman came out to leave as well.. He finally had to stop and tell me that he had seen my bike earlier when he'd parked and had not pictured me riding it. He was slightly surprised and I was very amused. Good times!! The best part is the jacket that came with my bike...it is definitely a point of amusement for everyone...guess I gotta have a little feminine touch, though I didn't pick it out or anything..guess it picked me!!
Sadly, the most recent news is the wrecking of my beloved truck. On my way into my last day of the classes I just recently completed, I exited the highway, came to a stop at a red light, looked into my rearview mirror only to find a large white truck bearing down on me at a fast pace. I had a volvo in front of me, a cement wall on my right, and the white truck was trying to veer left, so with no where I go to avoid collision I balled up for impact. Thankfully, I recieved no injury, nor did any others involved in the accident (I also hit the volvo in front of me due to the force and speed of impact). My truck on the other hand was fairly banged up. The truckbed crashed into the cab leaving a slight dent in the back of the cab, the tailgate is crammed shut, both back and front bumpers will have to be replaced, and amazingly the taillights on the side that was hit still work! Hmmm. Due to the angle on the front bumper I drove it to the Toyota dealer and was advised not to drive it further for fear of puncturing the front tire. So, now I drive a rental car, courtesy of insurance and am waiting for the repairs to be completed on my truck. PTL that no one was hurt and the truck is repairable, and the insurance of the other driver has been easy to work with, kind and covering it all.!! So, that's my life in a nutshell right now. Plenty of adventure, little downtime, and lots of fun and work.

I do love hearing from you all.. Please do write when you get a spare moment. Please do not let me become "out of sight, out of mind". God bless you all..

No comments: